Friday, February 16, 2007

My search for Pure wool

last few weeks have been very exhausting. i was busy with kids, house and searching for pure wool. which i finally managed to get my hands on and now i am busy making swatches. finally i can also have a very light shawl in Mohair and flaunt it around.
and use my bamboo needles to make one of those lovely patterns.

This is Mohair, single ply. took me sooo long to make a ball out of this. one ball is 125 grams. i have no idea how long the yarn is bit it is about 20 wraps per inch.



This is 3 ply mohair. very thick for a shawl. i have to think about its use ( any ideas to help me make a project...) i am only making swatches so i will try a larger size needle.



this is wool, undyed, the shop keeper told something about "the count" and it was a new word for me for wool. It is 3 ply.



This is all fancy wool mostly acrylic, for fancy projects like mufflers etc.







this too is acrylic. i am trying a multidirectional muffler for a friend. the dying is good so i thought this will come out faster and beautiful.



Coming to my swatches. i tried a small swatch with 3 ply mohair and its very very gross. i used 6mm needles and now i feel i need to use about 12 mm needle for his wool.



This is a single ply mohair and i am loving it. just waiting to finish this swatch which doesn't have much of a pattern except for the lace edging. i can Wait to start a nice shawl. may be its going to be the one on Canadian craft website, lacy shawl. i had that pattern in my to make wish list for a long time.


These two are acrylic wool swatches. i will have to get the pure wool dyed first to make these so i thought why not at least try out the pattern.... impatient me!!!




Comments:
I did a feather and fan wrap in a mohair that was pretty thick. The label said use size 8 US and I went up to size 15 US before I actually liked it. It has been my favorite scarf this winter.
 
Ooh, the single ply mohair looks gorgeous. I admire you being able to use such fine yarn. I agree that the three ply needs much bigger needles. It will knit up fast though!
 
Hey you've been making a lot of stuff! I look forward to seeing what you make with the mohair. But the clapotis swatch and the multidirectional scarf both look gorgeous! Where will you get the yarn dyed - in Lajpat Nagar?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?